The eaves of a building is the visual interface between the roof and wall of a building envelope. This is the point at which rainwater is channelled from the roof. An eaves system can also be a way of protecting and shading the walls, windows and doors underneath.
The complexity of the systems results in many questions; here are some of the most common questions the Bailey Technical office get asked:
1. What type of Eaves systems are there?
There are a number of Eaves systems, the two main types are:
- Conventional with external guttering; whereby you have a facia and soffit with an external gutter on the outside and exposed downpipes.
- Concealed drainage; whereby the facia cloak the gutter and the downpipes either merge externally or return into the building and travel down inside the building.
2. What range of colours are available for Eaves systems?
3. What size are the panels?
Typically panels are three meters long in order to control expansion with a maximum width of 1000 millimetres.
4. Do you have dwg files?
Yes, these are available in the CAD toolbox area and 3D revit models are also available.
5. What sort of specification will I receive?
Full NBS style specification is available, specifically written to your requirements or also available on NBS plus.
6. Can Gutterflow calculations be carried out?
Rainwater flow calculations should be carried out by the manufacturer specification service. Information required is square meters, required number of outlets, etc. A good manufacturer will support and advise on this.
The best way to get accurate calculation is to send in your drawings for review by the manufacturer.
New and bespoke requirements are normally dealt with by first sending conceptual drawings or sketches of what is required to be achieved.
A feasibility study is then required to review how these can be produced. It is often necessary for larger more complex jobs to have a face to face meeting to discuss in detail the best way of producing the required effect and what may need to be changed to achieve this.
8. What if we need samples for client approval?
Samples for client approval should be readily available, this is dependent on the project size and the complexity of the samples produced.
Find out more information on Eaves systems available or make an enquiry here